Match Report – Nov 5th


First defeat of the season for the U15’s. Monivea edged the score board 34 to 25 but the Colts dominated the majority of possession and territory. A positive start yielded 3 points from the boot of Jack Melvin but Monivea’s response was clinical. Good hands and blistering pace saw Monivea score from distance to lead 5-3. Colts pressure from the restart set up a scrum in the Monivea 22. A set play saw captain Brian McWallters stopped a yard from line but a quick recycle allowed Paul Lyons drive over for a try. Jack Melvin added the extras to leave the Colts 10-5 ahead. Stung into action and aided by some slack defending, Monivea  struck for a fine individual try by their impressive fullback. He added the extras to edge them 12-10 ahead. Disaster struck from the restart as Monivea used their pace to score in the corner for an unconverted try.  Colts, through Jack Melvin added 3 points from a long-range penalty.

Halftime Colts 13, Monivea 17.

The second half saw the Colts defend much better, but errors let Monivea in for converted try. Colts struck back through Ronan Clarke with a try and conversion by Jack Melvin. More powerful driving led to a Brian Eagney try to leave just 2 points between the teams. Another error gave field position to Monivea and their clinical backs made no mistake to score a 7 pointer. The game may have gotten away from them, but the Colts played right to the end and were unlucky not to cross the line.

Very positive performance all round with Ronan Clarke taking the man of the match award. Oran McNulty and Brian McWalters were the pick of the backs. Best of the forwards were Paul Lyons, Brian Eagney and Jack Gleeson.

Final Score Colts 25 Monivea 34


The U14 boys welcomed Ballinasloe Saturday morning on the convent pitch in good conditions for Rugby. The Colts started strongly and dominated the opening exchanges with hard work and were rewarded early with Mortimer touching down after 4mins with a nice pick and go try. It was converted by Morris in front of the posts, a good start to his day at full back for the first time this season. Colts continued to dominate and with clever play saw McNicholas break down the wing to get in for number 2 after 9mins again converted by Morris. 14-0 down and to their credit Ballinasloe fought back and hit a purple patch to score two converted tries to level the game up after 23 mins it looked like game on but the wakeup call was answered and McNicholas popped up with two more tries and a great break from deep by Thornton for another, with Morris kicking two, saw the Colts lead stretch to 33-14 at half time. The second half saw frustration with the visitors who were at a loss as how to handle the pressure with three more tries added by Mortimer, Finn and Meehan crossing the line for his first try this season two were converted by Walsh who took over the kicking duties from Morris left the Colts in command but Ballinasloe fought to the end and did cross the try line at the death to score a consolation try

Huge performances Brian Hett Enda Jennings and Danny Noone who fought tirelessly all day

Finale score Colts 52 Ballinasloe 19


U13s: 16 players traveled to play Ballinasloe today. Ballinasloe had a strong side aided by a significant number of subs which helped them keep the game fresh. Ballinasloe took an early lead through 2 quick converted tries; their kicker was clinical all afternoon. It is fair to say that most of Colts were still strolling around the park far too casually despite exhortations from the side-line. Eventually the Colts struck back and either side of half time when they showed good spirit. Ben Corless and Conor Prendergast each scored good tries. Unfortunately, as the Colts tired and Ballinasloe were cleverly rotating players, they took a stranglehold on the game. The Colts’ heads the started to drop and Ballinasloe took control. There will be lots to look at on Tuesday evening at the Astro.

U16 Girls

Our U16 girls welcomed Ballina to Dunmore last Sunday for their league game. The visitors started well and seemed to catch the Colts cold when they broke from a scrum and scored under the posts. Our girls took time to settle into the game and had to work hard in defence to keep Ballina from scoring again. This hard work paid off when our girls started to put phases together and this allowed  Evanna Flynn power over the line to score a try . Both teams continued to fight for dominance of the game and Ballina were next to score. However the Colts kept the work rate up and got a score from Ciara Nyland just before half time. Colts 10 14 down at the break. The Claremorris Girls started well in the second half with strong running and quick hands Saoirse Quinn ran a great line to take a pass off the shoulder of Aine Mangan to score under the posts. The Colts gained huge confidence from this score and Saoirse Quinn went over again to score her second and give the Colts a lead. Ballina came back into the game with another try but our girls were playing better now and settled the result when Lorna Burke scored another great try. So a good home win and start to the league  

Final score 31 26 .