Match Report Oct 28th

Match Reports


There was a Mini’s Blitz at Creggs for all Boys teams. The weather was very cold and that would likely have caused the lowest turnout of the season so far. It was a cold morning but some good rugby soon got the youngsters warm, which is more than can be said for those hardy souls standing on touchlines.



A sensational second half comeback by Claremorris secured the Colts a terrific 26-18 win against NUIG in Dangan.  In perfect playing conditions, both teams started with intentions of playing an open brand of rugby.  However, Claremorris got off to the slower start and the students were 8 – 0 up after 10 minutes.  Claremorris stemmed the flow of scores and replied with one of their own when John Costello barrelled over for a converted try from close range to leave the bare minimum between the sides.  However, this proved to be a temporary respite as NUIG took advantage of Claremorris defending too narrow to score two unconverted tries before half time leaving the score 18 – 7 to the students.

Claremorris were a very different animal in the second half.  There was greater intensity in the tackle area and the students were constantly brought down behind the gain line. This induced panic in the NUIG team and they began to lose their shape.  The resulting pressure led to a lack of discipline among the students and their centre was sent to the bin for killing the ball. The Colts took full advantage and scored two beautifully worked team tries in the space of 5 minutes, Danny McAllister and Paul Maloney the scorers. Both tries were converted.  The students didn’t go down without a fight and when they were back to their full complement they attacked with renewed vigour and it was only heroic scramble defence by the Colts that managed to keep them out.  However, one of their attacks broke down and Claremorris counter attacked ruthlessly. This led to David Bell scoring the insurance try which was duly converted.  Scenes of bedlam ensued after the game as Claremorris celebrated a great victory that was earned based on character, determination and no little skill.

Final Score Colts 26-18 NUIG.

U16 Girls

Our 16 girls traveled to Connemara on Sunday for their league game. On a great day for rugby the Colts had no subs due to number of injuries in the squad. It was the home side that started strongly, playing some great rugby, they scored two very quick tries – our girls 12 nil down. The next score was very important to both teams and it was the Colts who came up it a great break from Maire Ferrick that put the home team under pressure and they gave away a penalty which captain Aine Mangan tapped quickly and drove over near the posts to allow Ciara Nyland the extra two points . Both teams played great rugby and traded tries for the rest of the half. Ciara Nyland and Aine Mangan scoring tries.  The home side however kept the lead at half time 24- 19.

The second half was like the first with the teams going score for score. As the clock clicked down the Colts were 7 points behind and the efforts of the day plus the lack of fresh legs on the sideline was starting to take its toll. With fine play and great determination, the Colts launched themselves at the Connemara defence and out-half Ciara Nyland got in at the corner. Ciara then, with the kick of the day, knocked it over to level the game 31 all. With only seconds left the Colts had a chance to win it when Lorna Burke broke through at the half way line and ran for the posts but with only 3 meters to go a fine covering tackle for the Connemara winger allowed them to clear their lines. So, a draw, which seemed fair on the day. A special mention for Saoirse Quinn, Rosie Ganley and Grainne Hahessy who worked hard in attack and defence for their team. Next up for the girls are to play Ballina.

Final Score Colts 31-31Ballinasloe.